People who keep parrots and other pet birds at home.They must be very careful regarding types of plants,they keep in their homes.As many common houseplants are highly toxic to birds.Toxicity depends on the pant variet,the size of the bird and how much the bird ate.Gastriontesinal upset is very common sign that your bird ate something toxic.This can easily turn fatal.
If you are sure that your bord ate something tocix,call your vet or poison helpline immediately.Prevention is key.Also learn about toxic plants,so your birds can live safe life.
Growing amaryllis from bulb to flower is really a fun indoor gardening experience,but it is not good for your pet birds as, it will put your pet birds at risk. The plant along with the bulb, is toxic to birds and other pets. Ingesting this flower plant can result in vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, depression, and more.
Daffodils are famous, pretty spring flowers, but they can spell trouble for pet birds. As these flowers contain the chemical lycorine, which can be highly toxic .Even deadly depending on the amount ingested. It can cause severe gastrointestinal issues and seizures in birds and other animals.
Holly is an excellent decoration for holiday festivities, but on the other hand its leaves and berries are poisonous to birds. The berries might look like a tasty snack for many birds, So avoid bringing Holly if you have pet birds at home.
Lush, green ivy is a famous decoration in every home. While it does add a beautiful accent to a room, several types of ivy—including the common English ivy—can be deadly to any pet birds who share your home. It can cause gastrointestinal issues, convulsions, skin irritation, and more.
There are many types of lilies.But bird keepers should remove any type of lily from the areas where pet birds live.As lillies can cause terrible irritation to a birds mouth and digestive tract.
Mistletoe ,it is also a popular holiday plant.It also can be very dangerous to pet birds.Mistletoe can cause health issues,dirrhea,vomiting ,irregular breathing and heart rate.And even collapse if birds ingest it.
Morning Glory flowers are pleasant to look at.But they can be very harmful to your pet bird’s health.Specially be very careful if you buy morning glory seeds for planting,as they have dangerous chemical similar to LSD.
Poinsettia plants are poisonous to birds.They can also cause gastrointestinal issues,skin irritation and other serious health problems.They can also make other pets and people sick too.
Philodendrons are common houseplants, but they are not safe for your pet birds. All parts of the plant are toxic and can cause serious irritation to a bird’s mouth, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting, among other symptoms.
You may think that keeping a shamrock plant will bring a little luck into your home—but not for your bird. These houseplants are highly harmful to birds, along with cats, dogs, and other animals. They can causeshocks and excessive salivation, among other health issues.
Read also:Diseases People Can Catch From Pet Birds